Tennessee is a great place to pursue a STEM career. But don’t just take our word for it. To inspire the state’s next generation of technological leaders to pursue STEM careers, the TSIN is collecting profiles of people already working in STEM in Tennessee.
- Location: Hendersonville
- Job title, Company: Vice President, Product Innovation & Plant Operations, Des-Case Corporation
- In 25 words or fewer, what do you do? I work with a local manufacturing company to design, develop, and produce products that extend the life of the oil used in production machines.
- The best thing about your job: I get to lead the team that designs innovative products that reduce oil consumption in machinery all over the world. Our company also helps create jobs in the Nashville area by manufacturing the majority of our products locally.
- Tools you work with to do your job: I use an iPad to access information quickly. Our design team uses many great tools like Solid Works for computer aided design (CAD) and rapid prototyping machines to build new designs quickly.
- Path you took to get this job: I studied Mechanical Engineering at Tennessee Technological University, which gave me the technical knowledge that I needed to design products. I worked hard and continued to learn as much as I could along the way. I have been blessed to work with very bright people who have helped me to learn and grow professionally.
- Favorite subjects in school: Physics, history, and philosophy.
- Subjects and skills from school that you use in your job now: I use physics, chemistry, fluid dynamics, structures, economics, accounting, and public speaking on a weekly basis.
- Advice for students who want to do what you do: Go to college, dream big, and don’t listen to people who tell you it can’t be done. Work hard at everything you do and show that you care about your work.
Thank you to Jon for being one of the first participants to be profiled. Stay tuned for more cool STEM jobs from across our great state and watch for an e-book in the future that collects these profiles in one place.